Alif. Lam. Ra. (This is) a Scripture the revelations whereof are perfected and then expounded. (It cometh) from
One Wise, Informed,
2. (Saying): Serve none but Allah. Lo! I am unto you from Him a warner and a bringer of good tidings.
3. And (bidding you): Ask pardon of your Lord and turn to Him repentant. He will cause you to enjoy a fair estate until
a time appointed. He giveth His bounty unto every bountiful one. But if ye turn away, lo! (then) I fear for you the retribution
of an awful Day.
4. Unto Allah is your return, and He is Able to do all things.
5. Lo! now they fold up their breasts that they may hide (their thoughts) from Him. At the very moment when they cover
themselves with their clothing, Allah knoweth that which they keep hidden and that which they proclaim. Lo! He is Aware of
what is in the breasts (of men).
6. And there is not a beast in the earth but the sustenance thereof dependeth on Allah. He knoweth its habitation and
its repository. All is in a clear Record.
7. And He it is Who created the heavens and the earth in six Days - and His Throne was upon the water - that He might
try you, which of you is best in conduct. Yet if thou (O Muhammad) sayest: Lo! ye will be raised again after death! those
who disbelieve will surely say: This is naught but mere magic.
8. And if We delay for them the doom until a reckoned time, they will surely say: What withholdeth it ? Verily on the
day when it cometh unto them, it cannot be averted from them, and that which they derided will surround them.
9. And if we cause man to taste some mercy from Us and afterward withdraw it from him, lo! he is despairing, thankless.
10. And if We cause him to taste grace after some misfortune that had befallen him, he saith: The ills have gone from
me. Lo! he is exultant, boastful;
11. Save those who persevere and do good works. Theirs will be forgiveness and a great reward.
12. A likely thing, that thou wouldst forsake aught of that which hath been revealed unto thee, and that thy breast
should be straitened for it, because they say: Why hath not a treasure been sent down for him, or an angel come with him ?
Thou art but a warner, and Allah is in charge of all things.
13. Or they say: He hath invented it. Say: Then bring ten surahs, the like thereof, invented, and call on everyone
ye can beside Allah, if ye are truthful!
14. And if they answer not your prayer, then know that it is revealed only in the knowledge of Allah; and that there
is no God save Him. Will ye then be (of) those who surrender ?
15. Whoso desireth the life of the world and its pomp, We shall repay them their deeds herein, and therein they will
not be wronged.
16. Those are they for whom is naught in the Hereafter save the Fire. (All) that they contrive here is vain and (all)
that they are wont to do is fruitless.
17. Is he (to be counted equal with them) who relieth on a clear proof from his Lord, and a witness from Him reciteth
it, and before it was the Book of Moses, an example and a mercy ? Such believe therein, and whoso disbelieveth therein of
the clans, the Fire is his appointed place. So be not thou in doubt concerning it. Lo! it is the Truth from thy Lord; but
most of mankind believe not.
18. Who doeth greater wrong than he who inventeth a lie concerning Allah ? Such will be brought before their Lord,
and the witnesses will say: These are they who lied concerning their Lord. Now the curse of Allah is upon wrong-doers,
19. Who debar (men) from the way of Allah and would have it crooked, and who are disbelievers in the Hereafter.
20. Such will not escape in the earth, nor have they any protecting friends beside Allah. For them the torment will
be double. They could not bear to hear, and they used not to see.
21. Such are they who have lost their souls, and that which they used to invent hath failed them.
22. Assuredly in the Hereafter they will be the greatest losers.
23. Lo! those who believe and do good works and humble themselves before their Lord: such are rightful owners of the
Garden; they will abide therein.
24. The similitude of the two parties is as the blind and the deaf and the seer and the hearer. Are they equal in similitude
? Will ye not then be admonished ?
25. And We sent Noah unto his folk (and he said): Lo! I am a plain warner unto you.
26. That ye serve none, save Allah. Lo! I fear for you the retribution of a painful Day.
27. The chieftains of his folk, who disbelieved, said: We see thee but a mortal like us, and we see not that any follow
thee save the most abject among us, without reflection. We behold in you no merit above us - nay, we deem you liars.
28. He said: O my people! Bethink you, if I rely on a clear proof from my Lord and there hath come unto me a mercy
from His presence, and it hath been made obscure to you, can we compel you to accept it when ye are averse thereto ?
29. And O my people! I ask of you no wealth therefore. My reward is the concern only of Allah, and I am not going to
thrust away those who believe - Lo! they have to meet their Lord! - but I see you a folk that are ignorant.
30. And, O my people! who would deliver me from Allah if I thrust them away ? Will ye not then reflect ?
31. I say not unto you: "I have the treasures of Allah" nor "I have knowledge of the Unseen," nor say I: "Lo! I am
an angel!" Nor say I unto those whom your eyes scorn that Allah will not give them good - Allah knoweth best what is in their
hearts - Lo! then indeed I should be of the wrong-doers.
32. They said: O Noah! Thou hast disputed with us and multiplied disputation with us; now bring upon us that wherewith
thou threatenest us, if thou art of the truthful.
33. He said: Only Allah will bring it upon you if He will, and ye can by no means escape.
34. My counsel will not profit you if I were minded to advise you, if Allah's will is to keep you astray. He is your
Lord and unto Him ye will be brought back.
35. Or say they (again): He hath invented it ? Say: If I have invented it, upon me be my crimes, but I am innocent
of (all) that ye commit.
36. And it was inspired in Noah, (saying): No-one of thy folk will believe save him who hath believed already. Be not
distressed because of what they do.
37. Build the ship under Our eyes and by Our inspiration, and speak not unto Me on behalf of those who do wrong. Lo!
they will be drowned.
38. And he was building the ship, and every time that chieftains of his people passed him, they made mock of him. He
said: Though ye make mock of Us, yet We mock at you even as ye mock;
39. And ye shall know to whom a punishment that will confound him cometh, and upon whom a lasting doom will fall.
40. (Thus it was) till, when Our commandment came to pass and the oven gushed forth water (this was a sign of the
deluge, water gushing up from underground as well as falling from the sky), We said: Load therein two of every kind, a
pair (the male and female), and thy household, save him against whom the word hath gone forth already, and those who believe.
And but a few were they who believed with him.
41. And he said: Embark therein! In the name of Allah be its course and its mooring. Lo! my Lord is Forgiving, Merciful.
42. And it sailed with them amid waves like mountains, and Noah cried unto his son - and he was standing aloof - O
my son! Come ride with us, and be not with the disbelievers.
43. He said: I shall betake me to some mountain that will save me from the water. (Noah) said: This day there is none
that saveth from the commandment of Allah save him on whom He hath had mercy. And the wave came in between them, so he was
among the drowned.
44. And it was said: O earth! Swallow thy water and, O sky! be cleared of clouds! And the water was made to subside.
And the commandment was fulfilled. And it (the ship) came to rest upon (the mount) Al-Judi and it was said: A far removal
for wrongdoing folk!
45. And Noah cried unto his Lord and said: My Lord! Lo! my son is of my household! Surely Thy promise is the truth
and Thou are the Most Just of Judges.
46. He said: O Noah! Lo! he is not of thy household; lo! he is of evil conduct, so ask not of Me that whereof thou
hast no knowledge. I admonish thee lest thou be among the ignorant.
47. He said: My Lord! Lo! in Thee do I seek refuge (from the sin) that I should ask of Thee that whereof I have no
knowledge. Unless Thou forgive me and have mercy on me I shall be among the lost.
48. It was said (unto him): O Noah! Go thou down (from the mountain) with peace from Us and blessings upon thee and
some nations (that will spring) from those with thee. (There will be other) nations unto whom We shall give enjoyment a long
while and then a painful doom from Us will overtake them.
49. This is of the tidings of the Unseen which We inspire in thee (Muhammad). Thou thyself knewest it not, nor did
thy folk (know it) before this. Then have patience. Lo! the sequel is for those who ward off (evil).
50. And unto (the tribe of) A'ad (We sent) their brother, Hud. He said: O my people! Serve Allah! Ye have no other
God save Him. Lo! ye do but invent.
51. O my people! I ask of you no reward for it. Lo! my reward is the concern only of Him Who made me. Have ye then
no sense ?
52. And, O my people! Ask forgiveness of your Lord, then turn unto Him repentant; He will cause the sky to rain abundance
on you and will add unto you strength to your strength. Turn not away, guilty!
53. They said: O Hud! Thou hast brought us no clear proof and we are not going to forsake our gods on thy (mere) saying,
and we are not believers in thee.
54. We say naught save that one of our gods hath possessed thee in an evil way. He said: I call Allah to witness, and
do ye (too) bear witness, that I am innocent of (all) that ye ascribe as partners (to Allah)
55. Beside Him. So (try to) circumvent me, all of you, give me no respite.
56. Lo! I have put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord. Not an animal but He doth grasp it by the forelock! Lo!
my Lord is on a straight path.
57. And if ye turn away, still I have conveyed unto you that wherewith I was sent unto you, and my Lord will set in
place of you a folk other than you. Ye cannot injure Him at all. Lo! my Lord is Guardian over all things.
58. And when Our commandment came to pass We saved Hud and those who believed with him by a mercy from Us; We saved
them from a harsh doom.
59. And such were A'ad. They denied the revelations of their Lord and flouted His messengers and followed the command
of every froward potentate.
60. And a curse was made to follow them in the world and on the Day of Resurrection. Lo! A'ad disbelieved in their
Lord. A far removal for A'ad, the folk of Hud!
61. And unto (the tribe of) Thamud (We sent) their brother Salih. He said: O my people! Serve Allah, Ye have no other
God save Him. He brought you forth from the earth and hath made you husband it. So ask forgiveness of Him and turn unto Him
repentant. Lo! my Lord is Nigh, Responsive.
62. They said: O Salih! Thou hast been among us hitherto as that wherein our hope was placed. Dost thou ask us not
to worship what our fathers worshipped ? Lo! we verily are in grave doubt concerning that to which thou callest us.
63. He said: O my people! Bethink you: if I am (acting) on clear proof from my Lord and there hath come unto me a mercy
from Him, who will save me from Allah if I disobey Him ? Ye would add to me naught save perdition.
64. O my people! This is the camel of Allah, a token unto you, so suffer her to feed in Allah's earth, and touch her
not with harm lest a near torment seize you.
65. But they hamstrung her, and then he said: Enjoy life in your dwelling-place three days! This is a threat that will
not be belied.
66. So, when Our commandment came to pass, We saved Salih, and those who believed with him, by a mercy from Us, from
the ignominy of that day. Lo, thy Lord! He is the Strong, the Mighty.
67. And the (awful) Cry overtook those who did wrong, so that morning found them prostrate in their dwellings,
68. As though they had not dwelt there. Lo! Thamud disbelieved in their Lord. A far removal for Thamud!
69. And Our messengers cam unto Abraham with good news. They said: Peace! He answered: Peace! and delayed not to bring
a roasted calf.
70. And when he saw their hands reached not to it, he mistrusted them and conceived a fear of them. They said: Fear
not! Lo! we are sent unto the folk of Lot.
71. And his wife, standing by laughed when We gave her good tidings (of the birth) of Isaac, and, after Isaac, of Jacob.
72. She said: Oh woe is me! Shall I bear a child when I am an old woman, and this my husband is an old man ? Lo! this
is a strange thing!
73. They said: Wonderest thou at the commandment of Allah ? The mercy of Allah and His blessings be upon you, O people
of the house! Lo! He is Owner of Praise, Owner of Glory!
74. And when the awe departed from Abraham, and the glad news reached him, he pleaded with Us on behalf of the folk
75. Lo! Abraham was mild, imploring, penitent.
76. (It was said) O Abraham! Forsake this! Lo! thy Lord's commandment hath gone forth, and lo! there cometh unto them
a doom which cannot be repelled.
77. And when Our messengers came unto Lot, he was distressed and knew not how to protect them. He said: This is a distressful
78. And his people came unto him, running towards him - and before then they used to commit abominations - He said:
O my people! Here are my daughters! They are purer for you. Beware of Allah, and degrade me not in (the person of) my guests.
Is there not among you any upright man ?
79. They said: Well thou knowest that we have no right to thy daughters, and well thou knowest what we want.
80. He said: Would that I had strength to resist you or had some strong support (among you)!
81. (The messengers) said: O Lot! Lo! we are messengers of thy Lord; they shall not reach thee. So travel with thy
people in a part of the night, and let not one of you turn round - (all) save thy wife. Lo! that which smiteth them will smite
her (also). Lo! their tryst is (for) the morning. Is not the morning nigh ?
82. So when Our commandment came to pass We overthrew (that township) and rained upon it stones of clay, one after
83. Marked with fire in the providence of thy Lord (for the destruction of the wicked). And they are never far from
84. And unto Midian (We sent) their brother Shu'eyb. He said: O my people! Serve Allah. Ye have no other God save Him!
And give not short measure and short weight. Lo! I see you well-to-do, and lo! I fear for you the doom of a besetting Day.
85. O my people! Give full measure and full weight in justice, and wrong not people in respect of their goods. And
do not evil in the earth, causing corruption.
86. That which Allah leaveth with you is better for you if ye are believers; and I am not a keeper over you.
87. They said: O Shu'eyb! Doth thy way of prayer command thee that we should forsake that which our fathers (used to)
worship, or that we (should leave off) doing what we will with our own property. Lo! thou art the mild, the guide to right
88. He said: O my people! Bethink you: if I am (acting) on a clear proof from my Lord and He sustaineth me with fair
sustenance from Him (how can I concede aught to you) ? I desire not to do behind your backs that which I ask you not to do.
I desire naught save reform so far as I am able. My welfare is only in Allah. In Him I trust and unto Him I turn (repentant).
89. And, O my people! Let not the schism with me cause you to sin so that there befall you that which befell the folk
of Noah and the folk of Hud, and the folk of Salih; and the folk of Lot are not far off from you.
90. Ask pardon of your Lord and then turn unto Him (repentant). Lo! my Lord is Merciful, Loving.
91. They said: O Shu'eyb! We understand not much of that thou tellest, and lo! we do behold thee weak among us. But
for thy family, we should have stoned thee, for thou art not strong against us.
92. He said: O my people! Is my family more to be honoured by you than Allah ? and ye put Him behind you, neglected!
Lo! my Lord surroundeth what ye do.
93. And, O my people! Act according to your power, lo! I (too) am acting. Ye will soon know on whom there cometh a
doom that will abase him, and who it is that lieth. And watch! Lo! I am a watcher with you.
94. And when Our commandment came to pass We saved Shu'eyb and those who believed with him by a mercy from Us; and
the (Awful) Cry seized those who did injustice, and morning found them prostrate in their dwellings,
95. As though they had not dwelt there. A far removal for Midian, even as Thamud had been removed afar!
96. And verily We sent Moses with Our revelations and a clear warrant
97. Unto Pharaoh and his chiefs, but they did follow the command of Pharaoh, and the command of Pharaoh was no right
98. He will go before his people on the Day of Resurrection and will lead them to the Fire for watering-place. Ah,
hapless is the watering-place (whither they are) led.
99. A curse is made to follow them in the world and on the Day of Resurrection. Hapless is the gift (that will be)
100. That is (something) of the tidings of the townships (which were destroyed of old). We relate it unto thee (Muhammad).
Some of them are standing and some (already) reaped.
101. We wronged them not, but they did wrong themselves; and their gods on whom they call beside Allah availed them
naught when came thy Lord's command; they added to them naught save ruin.
102. Even thus is the grasp of thy Lord when He graspeth the townships while they are doing wrong. Lo! His grasp is
painful, very strong.
103. Lo! herein verily there is a portent for those who fear the doom of the Hereafter. That is a day unto which mankind
will be gathered, and that is a day that will be witnessed.
104. And We defer it only to a term already reckoned.
105. On the day when it cometh no soul will speak except by His permission; some among them will be wretched, (others)
106. As for those who will be wretched (on that day) they will be in the Fire; sighing and wailing will be their portion
107. Abiding there so long as the heavens and the earth endure save for that which thy Lord willeth. Lo! thy Lord is
Doer of what He will.
108. And as for those who will be glad (that day) they will be in the Garden, abiding there so long as the heavens
and the earth endure save for that which thy Lord willeth: a gift unfailing.
109. So be not thou in doubt concerning that which these (folk) worship. They worship only as their fathers worshipped
aforetime. Lo! we shall pay them their whole due unabated.
110. And we verily gave unto Moses the Scripture, and there was strife thereupon; and had it not been for a Word that
had already gone forth from thy Lord, the case would have been judged between them, and lo! they are in grave doubt concerning
111. And lo! unto each thy Lord will verily repay his works in full. Lo! He is Informed of what they do.
112. So tread thou the straight path as thou art commanded, and those who turn (unto Allah) with thee, and transgress
not. Lo! He is Seer of what ye do.
113. And incline not toward those who do wrong lest the Fire touch you, and ye have no protecting friends against Allah,
and afterward ye would not be helped.
114. Establish worship at the two ends of the day and in some watches of the night. Lo! good deeds annul ill-deeds.
This is reminder for the mindful.
115. And have patience, (O Muhammad), for lo! Allah loseth not the wages of the good.
116. If only there had been among the generations before you men possessing a remnant (of good sense) to warn (their
people) from corruption in the earth, as did a few of those whom We saved from them! The wrong-doers followed that by which
they were made sapless, and were guilty.
117. In truth thy Lord destroyed not the townships tyrannously while their folk were doing right.
118. And if thy Lord had willed, He verily would have made mankind one nation, yet they cease not differing,
119. Save him on whom thy Lord hath mercy; and for that He did create them. And the Word of thy Lord hath been fulfilled:
Verily I shall fill hell with the jinn and mankind together.
120. And all that We relate unto thee of the story of the messengers is in order that thereby We may make firm thy
heart. And herein hath come unto thee the Truth and an exhortation and a reminder for believers.
121. And say unto those who believe not: Act according to your power. Lo! We (too) are acting.
122. And wait! Lo! We (too) are waiting.
123. And Allah's is the Invisible of the heavens and the earth, and unto Him the whole matter will be returned. So
worship Him and put thy trust in Him. Lo! thy Lord is not unaware of what ye (mortals) do.