2. The revelation of the Scripture is from Allah, the Mighty, the Knower,
3. The Forgiver of sin, the Accepter of repentance, the Stern in punishment, the Bountiful. There is no God save Him.
Unto Him is the journeying.
4. None argue concerning the revelations of Allah save those who disbelieve, so let not their turn of fortune in the
land deceive thee (O Muhammad).
5. The folk of Noah and the factions after them denied (their messengers) before these, and every nation purposed to
seize their messenger and argued falsely, (thinking) thereby to refute the Truth. Then I seized them, and how (awful) was
6. Thus was the word of thy Lord concerning those who disbelieve fulfilled: That they are owners of the Fire.
7. Those who bear the Throne, and all who are round about it, hymn the praises of their Lord and believe in Him and
ask forgiveness for those who believe (saying): Our Lord! Thou comprehendest all things in mercy and knowledge, therefore
forgive those who repent and follow Thy way. Ward off from them the punishment of hell.
8. Our Lord! And make them enter the Gardens of Eden which thou hast promised them, with such of their fathers and
their wives and their descendants as do right. Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Mighty, the Wise.
9. And ward off from them ill-deeds; and he from whom Thou wardest off ill-deeds that day, him verily hast Thou taken
into mercy. That is the supreme triumph.
10. Lo! (on that day) those who disbelieve are informed by proclamation: Verily Allah's abhorrence is more terrible
than your abhorrence one of another, when ye were called unto the faith but did refuse.
11. They say: Our Lord! Twice hast Thou made us die, and twice hast Thou made us live. Now we confess our sins. Is
there any way to go out ?
12. (It is said unto them): This is (your plight) because, when Allah only was invoked, ye disbelieved, but when some
partner was ascribed to Him ye were believing. But the command belongeth only to Allah, the Sublime, the Majestic.
13. He it is Who showeth you His portents, and sendeth down for you provision from the sky. None payeth heed save him
who turneth (unto Him) repentant.
14. Therefor (O believers) pray unto Allah, making religion pure for Him (only), however much the disbelievers be averse
15. The Exalter of Ranks, the Lord of the Throne. He causeth the Spirit of His command upon whom He will of His slaves,
that He may warn of the Day of Meeting,
16. The day when they come forth, nothing of them being hidden from Allah. Whose is the Sovereignty this day ? It is
Allah's, the One, the Almighty.
17. This day is each soul requited that which it hath earned; no wrong (is done) this day. Lo! Allah is swift at reckoning.
18. Warn them (O Muhammad) of the Day of the approaching (doom), when the hearts will be choking the throats, (when)
there will be no friend for the wrong-doers, nor any intercessor who will be heard.
19. He knoweth the traitor of the eyes, and that which the bosoms hide.
20. Allah judgeth with truth, while those to whom they cry instead of Him judge not at all. Lo! Allah, He is the Hearer,
21. Have they not travelled in the land to see the nature of the consequence for those who disbelieved before them
? They were mightier than these in power and (in the) traces (which they left behind them) in the earth. Yet Allah seized
them for their sins, and they had no protector from Allah.
22. That was because their messengers kept bringing them clear proofs (of Allah's Sovereignty) but they disbelieved;
so Allah seized them. Lo! He is Strong, severe in punishment.
23. And verily We sent Moses with Our revelations and a clear warrant
24. Unto Pharaoh and Haman and Korah, but they said: A lying sorcerer!
25. And when he brought them the Truth from Our presence, they said: Slay the sons of those who believe with him, and
spare their women. But the plot of disbelievers is in naught but error.
26. And Pharaoh said: Suffer me to kill Moses, and let him cry unto his Lord. Lo! I fear that he will alter your religion
or that he will cause confusion in the land.
27. Moses said: Lo! I seek refuge in my Lord and your Lord from every scorner who believeth not in a Day of Reckoning.
28. And a believing man of Pharaoh's family, who hid his faith, said: Would ye kill a man because he saith: My Lord
is Allah, and hath brought you clear proofs from your Lord ? If he is lying, then his lie is upon him; and if he is truthful,
then some of that wherewith he threateneth you will strike you. Lo! Allah guideth not one who is a prodigal, a liar.
29. O my people! Yours is the kingdom to-day, ye being uppermost in the land. But who would save us from the wrath
of Allah should it reach us ? Pharaoh said: I do but show you what I think, and I do but guide you to wise policy.
30. And he who believed said: O my people! Lo! I fear for you a fate like that of the factions (of old);
31. A plight like that of Noah's folk, and A'ad and Thamud, and those after them, and Allah willeth no injustice for
32. And, O my people! Lo! I fear for you a Day of Summoning,
33. A day when ye will turn to flee, having no preserver from Allah: and he whom Allah sendeth astray, for him there
is no guide.
34. And verily Joseph brought you of old clear proofs, yet ye ceased not to be in doubt concerning what he brought
you till, when he died, ye said: Allah will not send any messenger after him. Thus Allah deceiveth him who is a prodigal,
35. Those who wrangle concerning the revelations of Allah without any warrant that hath come unto them, it is greatly
hateful in the sight of Allah and in the sight of those who believe. Thus doth Allah print on every arrogant, disdainful heart.
36. And Pharaoh said: O Haman! Build for me a tower that haply I may reach the roads,
37. The roads of the heavens, and may look upon the God of Moses, though verily I think him a liar. Thus was the evil
that he did made fairseeming unto Pharaoh, and he was debarred from the (right) way. The plot of Pharaoh ended but in ruin.
38. And he who believed said: O my people! Follow me. I will show you the way of right conduct.
39. O my people! Lo! this life of the world is but a passing comfort, and lo! the Hereafter, that is the enduring home.
40. Whoso doeth an ill-deed, he will be repaid the like thereof, while whoso doeth right, whether male or female, and
is a believer, (all) such will enter the Garden, where they will be nourished without stint.
41. And, O my people! What aileth me that I call you unto deliverance when ye call me unto the Fire ?
42. Ye call me to disbelieve in Allah and ascribe unto Him as partners that whereof I have no knowledge, while I call
you unto the Mighty, the Forgiver.
43. Assuredly that whereunto ye call me hath no claim in the world or in the Hereafter, and our return will be unto
Allah, and the prodigals will be owners of the Fire.
44. And ye will remember what I say unto you. I confide my cause unto Allah. Lo! Allah is Seer of (His) slaves.
45. So Allah warded off from him the evils which they plotted, while a dreadful doom encompassed Pharaoh's folk,
46. The Fire; they are exposed to it morning and evening; and on the day when the Hour upriseth (it is said): Cause
Pharaoh's folk to enter the most awful doom.
47. And when they wrangle in the Fire, the weak say unto those who were proud: Lo! we were a following unto you; will
ye therefore rid us of a portion of the Fire ?
48. Those who were proud say: Lo! we are all (together) herein. Lo! Allah hath judged between (His) slaves.
49. And those in the Fire say unto the guards of hell: Entreat your Lord that He relieve us of a day of the torment.
50. They say: Came not your messengers unto you with clear proofs ? They say: Yea, verily. They say: Then do ye pray,
although the prayer of disbelievers is in vain.
51. Lo! We verily do help Our messengers, and those who believe, in the life of the world and on the day when the witnesses
52. The day when their excuse availeth not the evil-doers, and theirs is the curse, and theirs the ill abode.
53. And We verily gave Moses the guidance, and We caused the Children of Israel to inherit the Scripture,
54. A guide and a reminder for men of understanding.
55. Then have patience (O Muhammad). Lo! the promise of Allah is true. And ask forgiveness of thy sin, and hymn the
praise of thy Lord at fall of night and in the early hours.
56. Lo! those who wrangle concerning the revelations of Allah without a warrant having come unto them, there is naught
else in their breasts save pride which they will never attain. So take thou refuge in Allah. Lo! He, only He, is the Hearer,
57. Assuredly the creation of the heavens and the earth is greater than the creation of mankind; but most of mankind
58. And the blind man and the seer are not equal, neither are those who believe and do good works (equal with) the
evil-doer. Little do ye reflect!
59. Lo! the Hour is surely coming, there is no doubt thereof; yet most of mankind believe not.
60. And your Lord hath said: Pray unto Me and I will hear your prayer. Lo! those who scorn My service, they will enter
61. Allah it is Who hath appointed for you night that ye may rest therein, and day for seeing. Lo! Allah is a Lord
of bounty for mankind, yet most of mankind give not thanks.
62. Such is Allah, your Lord, the Creator of all things, There is no God save Him. How then are ye perverted ?
63. Thus are they perverted who deny the revelations of Allah.
64. Allah it is Who appointed for you the earth for a dwelling-place and the sky for a canopy, and fashioned you and
perfected your shapes, and hath provided you with good things. Such is Allah, your Lord. Then blessed be Allah, the Lord of
65. He is the Living One. There is no God save Him. So pray unto Him, making religion pure for Him (only). Praise be
to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds!
66. Say (O Muhammad): I am forbidden to worship those unto whom ye cry beside Allah since there have come unto me clear
proofs from my Lord, and I am commanded to surrender to the Lord of the Worlds.
67. He it is Who created you from dust, then from a drop (of seed) then from a clot, then bringeth you forth as a child,
then (ordaineth) that ye attain full strength and afterward that ye become old men - though some among you die before - and
that ye reach an appointed term, that haply ye may understand.
68. He it is Who quickeneth and giveth death. When He ordaineth a thing, He saith unto it only: Be! and it is.
69. Hast thou not seen those who wrangle concerning the revelations of Allah, how they are turned away ? -
70. Those who deny the Scripture and that wherewith We send Our messengers. But they will come to know,
71. When carcans are about their necks and chains. They are dragged
72. Through boiling waters; then they are thrust into the Fire.
73. Then it is said unto them: Where are (all) that ye used to make partners (in the Sovereignty)
74. Beside Allah ? They say: They have failed us; but we used not to pray to anything before. Thus doth Allah send
astray the disbelievers (in His guidance).
75. (And it is said unto them): This is because ye exulted in the earth without right, and because ye were petulant.
76. Enter ye the gates of hell, to dwell therein. Evil is the habitation of the scornful.
77. Then have patience (O Muhammad). Lo! the promise of Allah is true. And whether we let thee see a part of that which
We promise them, or (whether) We cause thee to die, still unto Us they will be brought back.
78. Verily We sent messengers before thee, among them those of whom We have told thee, and some of whom We have not
told thee; and it was not given to any messenger that he should bring a portent save by Allah's leave, but when Allah's commandment
cometh (the cause) is judged aright, and the followers of vanity will then be lost.
79. Allah it is Who hath appointed for you cattle, that ye may ride on some of them, and eat of some -
80. (Many) benefits ye have from them - and that ye may satisfy by their means a need that is in your breasts, and
may be borne upon them as upon the ship.
81. And He showeth you His tokens. Which, then, of the tokens of Allah do ye deny ?
82. Have they not travelled in the land to see the nature of the consequence for those before them ? They were more
numerous than these, and mightier in power and (in the) traces (which they left behind them) in the earth. But all that they
used to earn availed them not.
83. And when their messengers brought them clear proofs (of Allah's Sovereignty) they exulted in the knowledge they
(themselves) possessed. And that which they were wont to mock befell them.
84. Then, when they saw Our doom, they said: We believe in Allah only and reject (all) that we used to associate (with
85. But their faith could not avail them when they saw Our doom. This is Allah's law which hath ever taken course for
His bondmen. And then the disbelievers will be ruined.