O ye who believe! Choose not My enemy and your enemy for friends. Do ye give them friendship when they disbelieve
in that truth which hath come unto you, driving out the messenger and you because ye believe in Allah, your Lord ? If ye have
come forth to strive in My way and seeking My good pleasure, (show them not friendship). Do ye show friendship unto them in
secret, when I am Best Aware of what ye hide and what ye proclaim ? And whosoever doeth it among you, he verily hath strayed
from the right way.
2. If they have the upper hand of you, they will be your foes, and will stretch out their hands and their tongues toward
you with evil (intent), and they long for you to disbelieve.
3. Your ties of kindred and your children will avail you naught upon the Day of Resurrection. He will part you. Allah
is Seer of what ye do.
4. There is a goodly pattern for you in Abraham and those with him, when they told their folk: Lo! we are guiltless
of you and all that ye worship beside Allah. We have done with you. And there hath arisen between us and you hostility and
hate for ever until ye believe in Allah only - save that which Abraham promised his father (when he said): I will ask forgiveness
for thee, though I own nothing for thee from Allah - Our Lord! In Thee we put our trust, and unto Thee we turn repentant,
and unto Thee is the journeying.
5. Our Lord! Make us not a prey for those who disbelieve, and forgive us, our Lord! Lo! Thou, only Thou, are the Mighty,
6. Verily ye have in them a goodly pattern for everyone who looketh to Allah and the Last Day. And whosoever may turn
away, lo! still Allah, He is the Absolute, the Owner of Praise.
7. It may be that Allah will ordain love between you and those of them with whom ye are at enmity. Allah is Mighty,
and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
8. Allah forbiddeth you not those who warred not against you on account of religion and drove you not out from your
homes, that ye should show them kindness and deal justly with them. Lo! Allah loveth the just dealers.
9. Allah forbiddeth you only those who warred against you on account of religion and have driven you out from your
homes and helped to drive you out, that ye make friends of them. Whosoever maketh friends of them - (All) such are wrong-
10. O ye who believe! When believing women come unto you as fugitives, examine them. Allah is Best Aware of their faith.
Then, if ye know them for true believers, send them not back unto the disbelievers. They are not lawful for them (the disbelievers),
nor are they (the disbelievers) lawful for them. And give them (the disbelievers) that which they have spent (upon them).
And it is no sin for you to marry such women when ye have given them their dues. And hold not to the ties of disbelieving
women; and ask for (the return of) that which ye have spent; and let them (the disbelievers) ask for that which they have
spent. That is the judgment of Allah. He judgeth between you. Allah is Knower, Wise.
11. And if any of your wives have gone from you unto the disbelievers and afterward ye have your turn (of triumph),
then give unto those whose wives have gone the like of that which they have spent, and keep your duty to Allah in Whom ye
12. O Prophet! If believing women come unto thee, taking oath of allegiance unto thee that they will ascribe no thing
as partner unto Allah, and will neither steal nor commit adultery nor kill their children, nor produce any lie that they have
devised between their hands and feet, nor disobey thee in what is right, then accept their allegiance and ask Allah to forgive
them. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. (this refers to the woman’s oath
of allegiance. It was the oath exacted from men also until the second pact of Al’Aqabah when the duty of defence was
added to the men’s oath)
13. O ye who believe! Be not friendly with a folk with whom Allah is wroth, (a folk) who have despaired of the Hereafter
as the disbelievers despair of those who are in the graves.